First everyone is in P.J's at 7 pm. The first kid in the bedroom sitting reverently on the floor gets to pick our book for the night. Second I sit on the floor and a kid gets to sit in my lap. I read a story from our "church book selection". There are always scripture references in the books. William is then asked to turn to those passages and we read from them. We have a Mini devotional every night before bed. They are allowed to ask questions and I will visit with them until they are done. It is amazing how many questions a 2-5 year old has about the scriptures. It is amazing how strong the Spirit is when we are all gathered together. We have family prayer then separate prayers. Does this take time? YES! Is it worth it? YES! I have a testimony of scripture study as a family! I pray that every family will take the time to figure out a system that will work for them. I feel that our family has been blessed by doing the small and simple things!
Each child has different interests. William is really into the wars and standing strong and fighting for what is right. Captain Moroni and the Sons of Mosiah are just a few of his favorites. William also loves the 3 Nephites he just knows that one day he will meet them and he will know who they are! Wayne is really into what Heaven is like, Angels and the preexistence. Trey loves to hear about the birth of Jesus and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jayden loves Noahs Ark and the animals. I enjoy the time I get to spend with the kids. Sometimes it is not all peaches and roses either. They fight and giggle but I continue to read and hope that they will remember the feelings that they feel when we read. I pray that I can help give them the armor that they are going to need in order to fight this very wicked world in which they live.
10 comments:
I have been so proud of you and the commitment you have made to read the scriptures with your children. I remember when you bought a notebook and started reading the Book of Mormon and everytime you encountered something about "Faith" you would write about it in your book. I think it was your senior year. Anyway I'm so thankful you take the time to do this each night. I know how tired you are at the end of the day especially the four night Spencer is gone and you are all alone. It would be so easy for you to just give up but you haven't. Your family, thus my family, will be blessed for your steadfastness and Faith. Thanks for sharing your testimony of the scriptures. I needed that...I always do. (glad I wrote something that was meaningful to you...your dad keeps the note I wrote him in his scriptures too-it's his book mark)
Crystal...thanks for this. While we do read scriptures with our kids most days, it's not very organized. I like your ideas. Good for you!
Hello Crystal. I wish I am that committed. I've tried the past years, but schedules always change, so things change. I feel good that we're even able to do FHE's every Monday so far! Oohh, I need to go post about that. Ok, love ya! And keep it up!
Oh my wise young friend, you continue to teach me so much. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. So many times when I have heard or read something like this AI just get mad because I feel guilty. Your sweet humility inspires me.
I'm so proud of you for never giving up. Your children will always rember the times you spent reading to them. John and I have such a hard time finding time to read with each other. I read to the girls every night, I think I should add a few scripture's into our nightly reading. You are awesome !
You are such an awesome mom. Seriously. I love reading about how much you teach your children and how patient you are.
Crystal!!! You are seriously the sweetest person alive! :) I would love to have dinner from you, but we will be going out to dinner tonight to celebrate my brother in laws birthday. Let me know that you get this, that way you won't be making 2 meals! ;)
Thank you though. You are SO sweet!!!
Okay, I will be counting on it!! :)bJune isn't that far away!
P.S. My husband will be excited. I don't make fancy pot roast. :(
*Sorry. June - not bJune.
hee, hee
Crystal, what a good mom you are. You will never have regrets about spending such quality time with your kids. Way to go. You're a great example.
Post a Comment