I always thought my Grandma was one of the most beautiful Grandmas ever! I can not remember a time that my Grandma Francine did not have her Hair down to her waist, nails painted and some pink lipstick on. All of us girls admired our Grandmas golden locks and thought she was beautiful. One of the hardest parts for me about her having Leukemia was the fact that I knew she would lose her hair.
1. Begining of Chemo July 21, 1997 Look at all of her hair.

2. Tucson Hospital receiving experimental Chemo therapy, still has her hair, August 6th 1997

3. Tucson Hospital, August 17, 1997 hair loss complete (Blue Turban)

4. September 11, 1997, home from hospital just purchased her wig.
It was so hard to see Grandma in a Wig. Her frail tiny body under this Wig! She was so proud of her Wig! She talked about going and picking it out and how grateful she was that people had donated their hair so she could have a real hair Wig. The fake wigs are really itchy she said and she did not want that. She joked around saying that she had always wanted to have red hair so she tried red wigs on as well. In the end she settled for a wig that looked most like her normal hair.
On December 19, 1997 my Grandma Francine lost her battle with Leukemia. She died the day after my 18th birthday. She did everything in her power to not pass away on DJ's and my birthdays. I am so grateful that she was able to hang on 1 more day. My sisters and I had the opportunity to be in the room with our beloved Grandma while she was passing from this life to next. I could feel that Angels of Heaven would come and go while we waited for Grandma to go back into the arms of our Loving Savior Jesus Christ. I sat and rubbed her feet while others read to her and gave their last goodbyes. Grandma had no idea that it was her time to go until Papa Pat carried her into the bathroom and told her it was okay if she went home. Grandma finally understood that it was her time to go and she told Papa Pat that she would be just beyond the the moon waiting for him. Shortly after that my Dad and Uncle David Farr gave her a blessing of strength and comfort and told her that she would be missed but, that her mission on earth was done and she could go to the next. I felt the Spirit so strong in that room when Grandma finally passed. I knew that the Heavens had opened and the concord's of Angels came to bring Grandma home. We all cried and felt overwhelmed with sadness for the earthly time we would not have with our Grandma. Missing our weddings, babies births, and graduations. Missing everything that makes this life worth living for. I was so happy for my knowledge that I knew my Grandma was no longer in pain from her disease and that she was strong and beautiful again. I am thankful for my testimony of these gospel truths.

A couple, of years ago my beautiful little nieces Alis and Aubry donated their hair to "Locks of Love"! I thought it was a really neat thing to do and thought back to my own Grandma Francine. My cousin Chani also, as an adult donated her hair to "Locks of Love"! Chani has her own reasons to donate that are close to her heart. What an example these 3 beautiful gals were to me!

So for the past 2 years I have been growing my hair out. You need a total of 10 healthy inches of hair to donate.

Today I was able to donate 12 1/2 inches of my hair today to "Locks of Love"! I felt so happy and excited to be doing this for someone else. I can not explain the feelings that I have had all day. Something I will never forget! My husband totally supported me and loves my new hair do! I can't wait to be reunited with my Grandma Francine and see her again with all of her Golden Locks!



10 comments:
Loved the post, of course it made me cry, but what a tribute to your grandmother. Her hair was her crowing glory and that was the hardest thing for her to lose her hair. So proud of you and I really love your hair when it's short! It looks great!
It looks really really good! I am so proud of you for donating your hair! I can't believe that you had that much length to your hair. Thanks for such a wonderful post!!! I love you!!!
Pink diamonds to giving part of yourself for a stranger that needs your help at such a difficult time in their life, it is so you Crystal. I love and appreciate you!
What an inspirational post! I love your new style. You have such gorgeous hair, it will really make someone so happy.
i have such memories of Grandma and her pink curler in her bangs. She NEVER used a blow dryer or a curling iron on her hair. I think your hair looks AWESOME I have always thought you look so HOT with shorter hair!!!!!
Great hair, Crystal! And great post! I was just done crying from watching a movie and then when I read yours, I cried again! That's ok, I forgive you. :D
Lisa and I also have donated to Locks of Love. My last one was just last summer. I am also growing out my hair so I can do it again. It's a great feeling when you have someone like your grandma to prompt good choices!
Thanks for the post...
that is soo neat to do it in memory of her! I donated 16 inches a few years ago then Cora also donated 10 the following spring!
Awesome blog and tears were coming down for me too~ your Uncle Mike did the same thing just alittle after you guys visited us in Vegas for lunch. He had long hair!Everywhere! lol
Your new cut looks nice, and will be great for the summer~
Love u guys, have a great Sunday~
That was such a beautiful post! My hair is almost to my waist, and I have been thinking about donating for the last 2 years, im just nervous! I hope I can get the courage and go follow your example! (It may be nice to not have baby fingers tangled in my hair every time I pick her up!)
OH DANG!! That is a lot of hair! I bet your head feels so much lighter now. Your hair looks really pretty. That is such a cool thing to do, but I dont' see myself donating any of my hair any time soon. Long hair is not my thing.
Post a Comment