Will, my oldest son absolutely loves animals. He has a soft spot for any living thing. We have tried a couple of times to get him a pet but each time the pet dies and we have to have a funeral. Each time this makes William very sad for days, months and years. With all that being said,
We bought a steer from my dad a few months ago to have him fatten up and killed for our food storage. William wanted to name him and I refused to let Will name the steer. I knew that if we named the steer William would say "Ohh Poor ........" I am sad he died. I just did not want William to get to attached to our dinner. Monday night our beef was done and in our freezer. William was doing really well with it so I thought. Tonight we had a BBQ, a few minutes into our dinner William goes, I feel so bad for eating my friend the beautiful black steer #4360! William looking up at me with his big brown eyes says, "Mom do you feel bad for eating our friend #4360"? I glanced down at my steak and thought umm no not really, but I do now! So I thought I would post a pic of #4360 he was a good steer and we are thankful for him and his life, well whats left of it!
5 comments:
This is a hilarious story. I remember we had rabbits once when we lived in Vernon. My dad killed them and fed them to us that night and Ryan kept asking are you sure this is rabbit? This looks like a rabbit foot, not a chicken leg. My dad was caught. Can't fool a kid even if the animals don't have names!
"Out of the mouth babes"... So funny!!!
This is so funny! Whe we lived in Holbrook and were selling off baby goats one year, we traded one for a lamb, who was promptly named lamb chop, to remind the kids where he would end up one day. The dumb thing ate himself to death one night and we had to process him instead of going out for dinner and show.That was the last time Jon agreed do to it that, I feel ripped off!
All kids learn this lesson at some point just in different ways. But it's still hard for them to understand and keep their hearts out of it. I just ignore that pen full of soon-to-be BBQ'd Beef every time I drive by it! I learned my lesson hunting with dad. I went with him on this long walk/hunt in the woods and wouldn't you know it he shot a deer. I was appalled when he cut it's throat. I mean I had hunted my whole life but that got to me. I was happy he got it but so sad! Then when I first got married I was with Teele when a cow had to be killed. Her little calf stood there and balled. When he cut her open her milk just poured out onto the ground. I went to the truck and cried! I was nursing you at the time and it really bothered me! Oh the harsh realities of ranch life.
I had an experience like that once. In Utah, instead of a science class you can raise a pig, and my cousin took that option. We had gone to visit the pig and I thought it was cute and knew it's name. Next time I went to visit my grandparents, we were eating and I kept talking about how good it was and then they let me know it was that very pig that I thought was so cute! I couldn't eat anymore, but it did taste good when I had eaten it.
Post a Comment