The night before we painted the bathroom Spencer and I took the kids to see Transformers 2. The movie was good it had some language but, it was still good! The movie got to the part where Sam almost dies and someone is doing CPR on him……..William was sitting in the row in front of us and he turns around and says “I think I am going to be sick”. I dump the popcorn bucket out and he gets sick. I sat in the back with him all the way home while he was sick. It finally dawned on me why William was so sick……seeing them doing CPR brought back some terrible memories for William. Will saw Spencer doing CPR on Sage and he did not understand what Spencer was doing? We had sat down and talked to the kids but, they never really asked us about CPR and what Spencer was doing.
The next day we went to Wal-Mart, Grandma and me asked the kids what color they wanted their bathroom? We gave some suggestions. William chimed in I really want an orange bathroom. I look over at Grandma she grabs the orange color samples which one? Will asks do they have “CARROT”? Grandma says yes they do! One can of “CARROT” please!!!
I spent the next 8 hours of my day painting his bathroom “Carrot”. We ate Reece's peanut butter cups, crackers and drinking diet coke. Will helped paint a good part of the bathroom. He painted the wall behind the toilet! We spent the entire day talking about his baby brother Sage and CPR. I cried silent tears most of the day. My heart was so broken for William. I think it was a good day for us. He really needed to talk and let his feelings out.
The “carrot” bathroom has grown on me! Will said Mom how can we be sad in here? It is such a happy color! You know he is right I have a hard time getting sad in there!
So many things have changed since Sage passed away. I really could care less if the kids want a “CARROT” bathroom. After all its just paint and I am so glad they are here to help me threw all of this! I think it turned out wonderful! Sorry to post such sad things, but this is my life and what we are dealing with at the moment.
14 comments:
I, for one, love this bathroom. Then again, I'm finding that I love every single room you decorate in your home. What a natural you are. My heart breaks for you everytime I think of the pain of your loss. I hope that you can continue to find comfort and be of comfort to your children. You have such a positive perspective on life and the really important things. I am reminded everytime I read your blog what truly should matter. Thanks for that.
What a great color! Way to go Will!
Your Kitchen looks great too!
I love the carrot bathroom! And I love that you can turn household projects into such special family moments and memories. You are such a wonderful mom!
Love love love the "carrot bathroom". Talent runs in the family we see...thank you for sharing with us. Your kitchen is awesomely gorgeous too..
I love it that you are "real" in your blog. My heart hurts for you and your family. We have been through a similar tragedy and I have great compassion for you.
Although I would never wish this pain upon anyone, it is comforting to hear how others cope with such an enormous loss.
I recently posted this (http://we-are-nine.blogspot.com/2009/09/sadness-in-calebs-brothers-night.html) about a difficult time that one of my sons (8 years old) recently had after the death of his 17 month old brother.
On a lighter note, my favorite color is orange and I grew up in a "carrot" colored bedroom. My daughter has taken after me and has had one for years...I think it is one of the "happiest" colors. What a blessing that you were able to share that time with your son and help him work through his grief like that.
I wish that I was half as productive as you in my grief. I can't seem to stay focused and you are getting so much done!
With love and hope,
Cheryl
I LOVE the color! It looks great with all the decor. What a sweet boy Will is! He has got a knack for color! Your story brought tears to my eyes. I have read your blog since before Sage went on to bigger and better things(although very shortly), and I am so glad your sweet children are there to be with you! We are praying for your strength to continue!
Sad, this is not. Happy is a mother and son who can spend this time doing, talking, loving and understanding each other. I am thankful that you born and learned the wisdom of the ages of what is truly important. Love you all Chrystal!
Love the bathroom, how many moms would let a child have that kind of outlet.
Now I want a carrot bathroom too, it looks so fantastic! I love the color orange!
Sophia is sitting on my lap and she really wants to go to that bathroom.
I think that orange looks amazing in there! Seems like Will has some of his mother's eye for decorating. I wish you could come help me with mine.
And as for being real and sad, that is life. I think it is important for you to talk about it, both for you to work through things and for others to see that you aren't just going to "get over" what happened.
Love you.
I'm so glad you were able to find a time to be with Will and that he was able to talk about what was on his mind. The color looks fantastic with your decorations on the wall. The curtain is perfectly coordinated. Who knew that a "carrot bathroom" could be so adorable. The kids will have fun memories of being able to pick out their own colors for different rooms. Adorable!
You don't know me, I found your blog somehow and check it every so often. I, too, have a little boy that passed away as a baby so I know a lot of what you're going through, although my other boys don't remember him so there aren't too many questions. But doing projects is very theraputic, I think, and so are bright, cheery colors. I painted my kitchen bright yellow after he died. I LOVE your orange bathroom, and green kitchen. New paint really helps lift your spirit!
I for one love the bathroom and William loves it as do all the other kids. My heart broke for William at the movie. He had waited so long to see it and then the whole CPR thing was just sad. He just knew his hero wasn't going to make it. None of us thought to explain CPR to him...live and learn I guess.
I love it!!! Great choice Will. I see how special this room is to him and your family. It was therapy for all.
You are such an inspiration to me.
LOVE IT! & one of these days I want a dark purple bathroom!!!
Post a Comment