All of the kids have been in desperate need of new shoes. William and Wayne have literally worn holes into the bottom of their shoes! Every payday something would come up and shoes have been put on the back burner. I figured their summer flip flops would have to do!
Well last night we took all of them to get their new shoes for school. I had never seen them more excited to get new shoes! I guess the trick is to make them go with out for a few months to make them understand what a blessing new shoes really are.
I was in charge of Will and Wayne. William has feet problems so his shoes have to be in the 700 level of comfort and feet. I had no idea shoes had levels on them until I had a son who goes to a foot Dr. once a year until he is 16! Then he can have the surgery he needs on his toes. Will choose black, red, and silver shoes. Will is all about comfort and could really care less about what his shoe looks like. He is 100% into how comfortable his shoes are. He reminds me of a little wise old man in a 9 year old body! What 9 year old tries on a million shoes comparing comfort levels and air flow!!
Wayne was fun to help. He wanted skater shoes! He likes vans and Tony Hawks. HE picked out lime green, black and white shoes! They look good on Wayne. He wears those and his cowboy boots!
Spencer was in charge of Trey and Jayden. Crazy times is all I can say! Jayden had every box of shoes she could reach and carry all around. Shoes for every occasion! High heels and sandals and running shoes and singing shoes! She had a reason why she needed every make and model in the store! Daddy insisted he buy her Twinkle Toes...they literally are the cutest pair of shoes I have ever seen! They light up and sparkle and they are so girly! She loves her shoes!
TREY!!!! He had a list for us...they had to be black, a character had to be on the shoe, no laces he is not ever going to learn how tie shoes, and they had to have lights! Well sounds pretty easy except Trey has huge feet! I call them HOBIT feet! They do not make big boy shoes, in little boy shoe designs. Most have laces and they do not light up! After 2 hours of searching every box and 2 stores later we found the shoe!!! He ended up with black Ironman shoes, no laces, and they light up!
When we left the store they where all so proud of their shoes! We had to drive straight to Grandmas house to show her our cool shoes! Each kid had to explain why their shoe was the very best shoe!
It is moments like these that all of us MISS our little man Sage. All of us wondered out loud what shoe would he pick out? How big would his feet be? How would he act in the store? Even though our total at the register was high we wish it could be higher. I don't think we are ever not going to miss our baby Sage. Its hard to say the least. His 2nd birthday is approaching and it makes you sad. I have a harder time on his birthday than I do the day he died. I miss him so much. Every one kept commenting on how big our family was at the store...you want to carry a sign around your neck...we are missing 1 we have 6! Instead you smile and nod and choke back silent tears.
Grief is strange it teaches you to really enjoy the moments of each day like shoe shopping but it also cuts you deep at the same time. It is bittersweet...
Sometimes you can't help but smile
10 years ago
4 comments:
((hugs)) Crystal
Sorry for the grief that continues after losing precious Sage.
With Hope,
Cheryl
They were so very proud of their new shoes! I LOVED LOVED LOVED Jayden's shoes. They were the cutest shoes I have ever seen. Makes me wish I was a little girl again and had a pair of those cool shoes. I can't wait for RaLee to see them I think she will like them as much as I did.
When I was cleaning your kitchen I saw one of Sage's little baby shoes in the junk drawer. It's one I bought him and I just held it and wished... Losing someone we love so much does have a way of putting things into perspective. I remember telling your dad when he would complain about you kids all needing new shoes that the alternative could be that you didn't grow anymore and would never need new shoes again. That would silence his complaining. Keeping an eternal persepective on things just makes life so much easier.
My kids are so excited to get their new school shoes also. I think anything new at this age is fun.
I understand your longing for your little one and things like just going to the store can tear you deep.
Good Luck with your little one on the way. And yes our move so far has been healing and great!
If you get to a point that you can't find "no-lace" shoes for your little man, you can buy elastic laces to thread into the shoes in place of the regular laces. You tighten them as you go then they become slip-ons. I have found them at Payless once. The other time I found them at Fabulous Footware. I'm sure it would be easy to find them on-line. I have a child who is equally as resistant to learn to tie. He's too busy and it's just not a priority to him. I've decided that's not a hill I'm willing to die on :)
Post a Comment