Friday, November 6, 2009

A Mother’s Talent

One of my new years resolution this year was to make Jayden an outfit from scratch! My Mom and I went to the store and picked out matching  dresses for Payton and Jayden. The plan was that Mom would sew a step then I would sew the step until the entire dress was done.

I kept putting this project on the back burner….Mom would ask and I would say maybe next week.

Well, on Thursday I got really bored so I pulled out the dress pattern and about 5 hours later, I had made the DRESS all by myself! I was so excited! It looked just  like it was supposed too! It had matching sleeves and ruffles! I was so excited and proud of my new found talent and LOVE for sewing clothes! I needed some help with the liner, I drove straight to Mom’s to ask her how to sew in the liner. She was so sad I had sewn the dress without her help…..BUT I was so excited!

I want my Mother to know that I did not sew this dress without my Moms help! I have always known my Mom is so talented, she can sew anything! Everything she touches turns to GOLD! I have sat and watched my Mom sit and sew at her sewing Machine for the past 30 years! I was so excited that I discovered that I have my Mothers sewing talents! A  few more years of hard work and practice and TIPS from Mom, I will be half as good as my Mom is! I am thrilled that I have discovered a new talent and that I hopefully take after my Mother! Momma I could not have sewn this dress without you! Thanks for teaching me so much in the past 30 years of my life!

The front of the dress!

IMG_2167

The back of the dress!

IMG_2173

Jayden being a Princess!

IMG_2172

 

IMG_2171

Jayden loves her new dress! Jayden sat beside me all day long while I sewed her dress….hopefully one of many dresses that I get to sew for her! One day I hope to teach her how to sew just as my Mom has taught me over these past 30 years!

IMG_2179

14 comments:

Liz said...

LOL Okay I never had any doubt that you could do it because I have taught you and you've made many quilts and such and you have known how to cut out patterns for...ever. I was "upset" that I spent money on matching fabric and pattern (when I knew I didn't need to that you could do it on your own) and then you sewed it without me...LOL. I never doubted you not once. RaLee also has "the gift" to sew I just hope she continues to learn...it's such a good thing to know. One day the time may come when we can't just go to the store.
I loved the pictures of Jayden TOO cute! Now I'm not falling for the same trick on that Christmas dress you want to make...LOL.
I'm proud of you! I knew you could do it!

Cori White said...

such a cute dress. my mom can sew too, but im sticking with the burp rags and blanket making. i remember when she used to sew for me i would HATE to try the stuff on. Those memories are very vivid I would hate to hear her call me back to her room to try the outfit on again! She always had a coke sitting next to the sewing machine and we stayed far away for our own sakes. Her bow even matches.. too cute!

Amanda Griggs said...

So cute! I love that dress! The fabric is so pretty. You did a wonderful job! I'm learning to sew, but very slowly!

Lara Neves said...

Cutie patootie! Love it!

I really like to sew, but rarely find the time to do it.

Tamra and Jim said...

Your mom is a very talented seamstress and looks like you have the same gift. The dress is adorable and Jaden looks so cute in it. Good job.

Cody and Danica said...

awesome job. when you said you wanted to come visit...did you mean come to my house or what? sorry i never commented back. i'm pretty lame. i'm in show low this weekend but after that i'll be home!

Lyndsay Winters said...

Great job on the dress! I am jealous. Sewing does not come easily for me. Keep at it, you seem to be a NATURAL!!!

P.S. Jayden is one cute little lady.

Chandy said...

You are just a fountain of talent, Crystal and Jayden is one lucky little princess! Lovely dress!

BeckyinQC said...

I am so impressed Crystal! The dress is darling and so is Jayden! I think it is so important to learn from our mothers, grandmothers, etc. I still have a lot of learning to do in that department and need to make it a priority. Keep it up!

Sharron said...

Wonderful job Crystal! You did so well, and quite frankly, I am shocked, I had no idea you didn't sew clothes. The dress really is cute and so is your dolly!

Carolyn said...

Ok, first off...you were bored???? You must be the busiest lady I know. :) You are so talented. What a cute dress!

Jessica Caldwell said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE her dress you did an awesome job!! Jayden is one very beautiful little girl.

Kara said...

What a CUTE dress - good job!

Kathy said...

I learned to sew watching my mom also. And she learned by watching her mom. I remember sitting for hours enjoying that time with my mom. Sweet memories. How precious are those mom and daughter moments.